Skip navigation

The “Indian Problem”

As American power and population grew in the 19th century, the United States gradually rejected the main principle of treaty-making—that tribes were self-governing nations—and initiated policies that undermined tribal sovereignty. For Indian nations, these policies resulted in broken treaties, vast land loss, removal and relocation, population decline, and cultural decimation.

The “Indian Problem” was produced to serve as the central video in the exhibition “Nation to Nation: Treaties Between the United States and American Indian Nations,” on view at the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, DC. This video introduces visitors to the section of the exhibition titled “Bad Acts, Bad Paper.”

Tags:

4 Comments

• Heather Henderson

My eyes are Broken this film flows different emotions through my Heart pain, saddness, anger & discust, I am also Ashamed that the Europeans did this to all of you, your families & your ancestors & no one will ever tell me this was not a Genocide because it was, the same with every Atrocity that led to this Genocide & nothing will ever change my mind & I will keep on telling everyone about what happened & is still Happening to the Indigenous People of America & many other countries to. I may have been born in Scotland which is a European Country but that doesn’t mean I am like many of the Europeans who would & still do the same as the European ancestors of America

• Rick Hemmings

Genocide on a grand scale. The most important, yet least acknowledged tragedy this continent has ever seen. So much propaganda has been taught to us all, this harsh fact remains hidden for most. There is no shortage of written historical fact available to those who wish to find out the real truth.

• TexasVulcan

A very black mark on US history. I saw a production by the Cherokee N. Carolina. Also very powerful.

• Carlos R Canas

Very powerful film. The American holocaust saw the destruction of the native people all over the Americas. A destruction that still continues. Still we who have native blood in our veins feel proud of our Indian past.